“At the expense of the men of the sea of this people, this new temple was built, in the time when there were only a few huts”.
This is how the Igreja Matriz de Nossa Senhora do Rosário de Olhão presents itself to tourists visiting the historic area, in the center of the city, just a minute from our hotel.
The construction of the Church of Nossa Senhora do Rosário, currently known as Igreja Matriz de Olhão, began in 1698 and was opened for worship in 1715, still unfinished. The contract for the construction of its tower was signed in 1722. On the facade, one can read the inscription mentioning the contribution of the men of the sea of the region for the construction of the temple. Due to its grandeur, the church attracts many looks from tourists who visit the historic area of Olhão, in the center of the city, where it is located.
In the second half of the 18th century, the main façade of the church, one of the most impressive in the whole of the Algarve, was reformulated, now featuring a triangular crown. Inside, with a single nave and slightly protruding transept, there are five altars. The chancel has an altarpiece and a triumphal arch in gilded woodwork, a ceiling decorated with a fresco and an image of Nossa Senhora do Rosário.